Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Like Mike- Poetry

I’m a little like Mike
You see, I had an abusive daddy who cheated on my mommy
And my childhood was brought to an end when I tried to make
My father a friend
And instead, he made me enlist
A whole childhood killed, crestfallen, joy desists,
I wore, I can remember, at the age of seven
The white glove on my right hand as I moonwalked
Across the carpeted floor as “Black or White” boomed like thunder
On the radio, and so
The noise was simply more than noise
As what Mike sought were to renew those joys
Through his music and genuine humanity
To those crestfallen individuals and communities
His legacy will haunt and stay with me, for I identified
With more than something most people saw on the outside
You see, what we leave behind speaks louder than what we lived for
And so, through this verse and what my mind bleeds on the paper
The colors black or white, the soul the spike, with greatness in sight, I feel
I’m a little like Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment